Empowerment Plan initiative aims to break the cycle of homelessness in Detroit

With the winter season now upon us, Detroit-based non-profit organization “Empowerment Plan” has launched its 2019 “Spread the Warmth” coat sponsorship campaign with the mission of distributing 9,000 coats to individuals in need this winter. The organization has a goal of raising $125,000.

Dedicated to breaking the cycle of homelessness through workforce development, Empowerment Plan provides full-time employment and training to homeless individuals in Detroit through the manufacturing of sleeping bag coats which are in turn distributed to those in need. Since 2012, Empowerment Plan has created over 80 jobs and distributed over 35,000 coats globally.

“More than 550,000 individuals experience homelessness on a given night in the United States and approximately 10,000 live right here in Michigan,” said Veronika Scott, CEO and Founder of Empowerment Plan. “With each coat distributed, five lives are impacted—the employee it supports, the family it sustains, and the individual that receives it. We need your help in solving one of the hardest social problems, breaking the cycle of generational homelessness.”

Since 2012, Empowerment Plan has created over 80 jobs and distributed over 35,000 coats globally.

Empowerment Plan offers a wide range of services to help individuals achieve financial stability and independence for their families and provides meaningful programs intended to close the skills gap. Their paid-to-learn model provides full-time employment with a wide range of supportive services. The program’s approach addresses everything from housing and childcare to transportation, education and more. Approximately 60 percent of an employee’s paid 40-hour work week is dedicated to coat production and the remaining 40 percent is time allocated to programming and supportive services such as GED preparation, financial health and wellness, therapy, domestic violence support, career advancement support and more.

The durable and innovative EMPWR coat transforms into a sleeping bag or can be worn as an over-the-shoulder bag. The coats are water resistant, lasting for multiple seasons, and are produced using upcycled fabric from companies including General Motors and Patagonia. Made in Detroit, EMPWR Coats are distributed across all 50 U.S. states, 11 Canadian provinces and territories and 18 other countries worldwide.

EMPWR Coats can be championed for $125 each, a variety of sponsorship opportunities are also available.

About Post Author

From the Web

Skip to content