“Do what we can, summer will have its flies.”
American essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson had the right idea about how to have a full, and fun, summer.
Doing what you can could mean many things: Get fit, live it up, go on vacation and then some.
Harper’s BAZAAR Magazine has some ideas, too. They wrote an article on seven crucial tips to perfecting your summer by getting your best summer body yet.
Steven Macari, nutritionist and founder of The Wave State, detailed his key tips for looking fit:
1) CARBOHYDRATES: Low carb is typically the go-to weight loss strategy, but cutting carbohydrates isn’t an across-the-board approach. According to the article, all carbohydrates are “not created equal” and severely cutting down on specific carbohydrates can slow your metabolism down and create a number of hormonal imbalances.
- Over the next 14 days, think about removing processed carbohydrates like bread, cereal, pasta, pizza and artificial sweeteners.
- Up the good carbohydrates like fruit, fruit juice, white rice and root vegetables to boost the metabolism system.
2) FASTING: Fasting can be a truly helpful way to lose weight, balance your hormonal system and assist in digestion functions while detoxifying. There are numerous techniques to fasting with one Macari suggests doing over the next few weeks which involves consuming meals between the hours of 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Before noon having some coffee, tea, water, coconut water and fruit juice are all on the table.
- To up the results of fasting, possibly add a teaspoon of coconut oil or MCT oil to your coffee or tea, Macari said.
- Between 12 p.m. and 8 p.m. have two balanced meals and two balanced snacks.
- These individuals should not fast: people with thyroid conditions; people with blood sugar issues or those under a very high-stress load.
3) DIGESTION: Typically, when people lose weight, they want to lose fat. Yet, it can be a long haul before the body releases excess body fat.
- “There is a quicker way to get a flat belly and that is to optimize digestion,” Macari said, adding that poor digestion can lead to bloating and a distended belly that makes people look and feel “not so great.” Several easy changes can typically get the digestion system on track so that bloating is not as big of a problem as before.
- For better digestion avoid foods that are hard to digest like gluten (look out for soy sauce and other sauces when eating outside the home) including guar gum, locust bean gum, other “gums”, carrageenan, certain raw vegetables (broccoli, Brussel sprouts, dark leafy greens), huge salads, and protein powders.
- The article added that it is crucial to be aware of what you eat. Also, think about taking a few deep breaths before taking a bite of food. Gum lovers especially? Take some of your favorite gum and get to work before eating. Also, you may want to think about chewing your food for a bit longer.
- For those who aren’t shy, think about getting a colonic.
4) SUMMER SUPERFOODS
- Eat oysters; eat more local, wild seafood.
- Eat beets several times per week.
- Eat artichokes once per week.
- Eat a large variety of fruit this season.
- Consume coconut oil daily. The easy-to-digest fat can improve metabolism. Consider one to three teaspoons a day as a sauté or added to coffee, tea or other foods.