Detroit Fireworks Postponed to August, Set for TV Viewing Only

Monday, the city of Detroit announced its decision to push back its annual Ford Fireworks display. The fireworks, originally scheduled for June, has been moved to August 31. However, keep your lawn chairs at home because people will not be allowed to gather. Yes, that’s right; similar to other celebrations impacted by COVID-19, the 2020 fireworks show will be televised only.

“We won’t bring people together, but we can bring hearts together in our city,” said The Parade Company President & CEO Tony Michaels.

This year’s show honors the efforts of frontline and essential workers.

“We started thinking about all the great people, the front liners, including the nurses, doctors, policemen, firemen, truck drivers, everybody involved, and how great this city really is,” said Michaels who was happy to keep tradition alive.

“We have an unwavering commitment to this tradition, which has brought us together as one for over six decades, and are grateful to Mayor Duggan, the City of Detroit…and our many amazing partners who are joining efforts to make this possible.”

The Michigan Chronicle previously reported the cancellation of other traditional celebrations due to coronavirus such as in-person graduations.

This week, Governor Whitmer began the partial reopen of two regions in Michigan but has still not endorsed group gatherings yet.

Comments

From the Web

PHP Code Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com
X