Thursday, a second wave of conservative protesters flooded the state Capitol expressing their disapproval of the current Stay Home Order. This time, they entered the building armed with assault rifles, confederate flags and a noose was visible. This prompted President Trump to tweet Friday morning,
“The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire. These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal.”
Friday afternoon in her latest press briefing, the governor did not back down in the slightest.
“We’re not in a political crisis where we should just negotiate and find some common ground here; we’re in a public health crisis. We’re in the midst of a global pandemic,” said Whitmer.
“The fact of the matter is we have to listen not to pollsters and not to people with political agendas, but listen to epidemiologists and public health care experts. Listen to our business leaders who are worried about making sure they’ve got all the PPE and protocols to keep all their employees safe.”
Whitmer’s current Stay Home Stay Safe order is in effect until May 15, and she recently extended Michigan’s state of emergency to May 28.
Republican officials voted to move forward with a lawsuit challenging the governor’s authority. They would like more of a say in when and how to restart Michigan’s economy. The governor said Republicans are not alone in wanting to boost economic efforts.
“Even though we might disagree on some things I think we’re unanimous in that we want to reengage this economy safely so we never have to be in the stay-home stay-safe order ever again,” said Whitmer. “I’m going to stay focused on the facts and the data and doing the next right thing.”
The Michigan Chronicle previously reported Whitmer has loosened some restrictions such as boating, golfing and has allowed landscaping services to resume. Construction is set to resume next week.