DPSCD (Detroit Public Schools Community District) has plans to re-create the identity of many of its K-12 schools. These shifts come after years of complaints from parents and students regarding quality education, safety, and structural concerns. DPSCD Superintendent Nikolai Vitti has recommended alterations for the following schools:
Martin L. King Jr. Senior High School
Southeastern High School
Golightly Career and Technical Programming
Adult education programming at the Adult East and West Buildings
Frederick Douglass High School
Detroit International Academy
Communication and Media Arts High School
Vitti stated that these improvements will facilitate a better learning experience for Detroit students.
“The changes that we have been talking about are not to address our district-wide facility issues,” Vitti said. “They are a set of recommendations that can move more students to better facilities and can continue to help us increase enrollment district-wide by providing more competitive programming.”
Schools such as King and CMA will turn into full-exam schools, while other schools such as Southeastern and Golightly will introduce new programming for students. Also, DPSCD headquarters will move from the Fisher Building which has been home to the school district for more than 15 years.
Currently, the school district needs over $500 million in repairs which cannot be obtained from taxpayers. Starting this month, through January, meetings will be held at other schools in the district to discuss the upcoming changes.
These occurrences are nothing new for the state’s largest school system. From emergency financial managers being put in place to schools being shut down, no expense has been spared in DPSCD. We hope that these changes will be of benefit to students, rather than placing them in further limbo inside the classroom. Listed below are location and meeting times for the discussions:
- Wednesday: Pulaski Elementary-Middle School, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Thursday: Detroit Collegiate Preparatory High School at Northwestern, 2200 W. Grand
- Dec. 9: Cody High School, 18445 Cathedral
- Dec. 11: Henry Ford High School, 20000 Evergreen
- Dec. 12: Pershing High School, 118875 Ryan
- Dec. 16: Mumford High School, 17525 Wyoming
- Jan. 8: Denby High School, 12800 Kelly
- Jan. 9: Martin Luther King Jr., Senior High School, 3200 E. Lafayette
- Jan. 13: East English Village Preparatory High School, 5020 Cadieux
- Jan. 15: Central High School, 2425 Tuxedo
- Jan. 22: Western International High School, 1500 Scotten
- Jan. 23: Osborn High School, 11600 E. Seven Mile