Stress at work is inevitable, even if you love your job, but it shouldn’t be the only thing you gain from it.
Sometimes, it’s hard when you’ve been settled in a position for so long, to contemplate anything different, or even admit that there’s a problem. Denial can be a dangerous thing, and most of the time “just getting on with it” isn’t the healthiest thing to do, nor will it do you any favors in the long run. You deserve a career which fulfils your needs.
Here’s 5 signs it’s time for a career change!
- Your self-esteem is at rock bottom – if your job has sapped every last little bit of pride and self-worth you once had, it’s time to for a change. No person should be made to feel less than themselves for the sake of a job, and it can be seriously damaging long term for your mental health.
- There are more negatives than positives – positive thinking is a powerful thing, and something, which everyone should be trying to implement. If your job has a huge list of bad reasons to be there, but there are only a few positives, which get lost in the bad vibes, it may be time to re-consider your options.
- You’re under-appreciated and under-valued – nothing can be more damaging to your self-esteem than being made to feel like you don’t matter. Maybe you put in many hours of overtime, hoping for that promotion, only to be ignored for the third year running. If you feel like you’re working too hard for no recognition, it’s time for a change.
- You’ve actually thought about it – if you spend many hours in your current job daydreaming about an alternative career, this could be your biggest sign. If the only thing stopping you from making the change is you, don’t let it – allow yourself to strive for more, and go get it.
- You find no joy in what you do – what you do in your job has to matter, even if it only matters to yourself. If you find no fulfillment, passion or joy in what you’re doing, it can be soul-destroying and you don’t want that for the rest of your life. Find something you’re passionate about, and consider the change.