Public relations is essentially the process of connecting you to the public. However the reality is that “your” public cannot be everyone. Some companies can hire PR staff to help them identify their most likely segment of the public that will utilize their services, attend their events or buy their products. However most creative entrepreneurs don’t have the resources (money) to hire an expert or the knowledge about how to get started to do their own PR. Three things all entrepreneurs need to know/ discuss to even begin the PR process are:
- A prepared 20-30 second pitch/description of your business – speak about your business in a short, concise interesting way upon request
- Name three similar successful businesses, products or services in your area/field/expertise and why you believe they are successful
- Who you believe your potential or existing customers are? – your target market
Creative entrepreneurs can learn much more at the upcoming “PR for Creatives” workshop by PR Guru Cherrie Woods on June 2, 1-4:30 p.m. at the Boll Family YMCA.
The workshop will focus on empowering attendees to build businesses that are balanced, productive and sustainable utilizing best PR practices. Local panelists will include Mike Monford, (jazz historian/musician), Geno Harris (artist, gallerist), Courtney Burkett (Producing Artistic Director, Detroit Public Theatre) and Natalie Frakes (violinist and educator)
The workshop will cover six areas:
- What is PR?
- 3 Things every entrepreneur needs to build a PR strategy
- Is your website effective?
- Does your business need a brand?
- How knowing your target market helps you choose the right social media channels?
- How to get FREE publicity (earned media) attention?
Cherrie Woods is a 16-year plus public relations (PR) veteran known for her work as a consultant, publicist and workshop facilitator for creative entrepreneurs. She has held staff, consulting and management positions at Detroit Institute of Arts, Ntouch Communications Group, Harbourfront Centre (Toronto), Reginald F. Lewis Museum and City of Baltimore (Baltimore). Woods is the author of Where Do I Start?10 PR Questions and Answers to Guide Self-Published Authors as well as an award-winning poet. She has been featured in several media outlets for her PR work including Michigan Chronicle, Detroit News, The Culvert Chronicles, The Baltimore Sun, Fox45-TV, WJZ-TV, WEAA.88.9, SiriusXM and Maryland Public Television. She is currently an adjunct faculty member at Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore.
Where: Boll Family YMCA, 1401 Broadway, Detroit MI 48226
When: Sunday June 2, 1:00—4:30pm