If you have children and teens and are looking for activities and programs for this summer, then the Detroit Parks and Recreation Department has programs and activities for you.
SUMMER DAY CAMPS
The Detroit Parks & Recreation Department still has space available in its Summer Day Camps for children.
The camps are from June 20 – August 12, Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. The cost for the 8-week summer camp is $425 for residents and $475 for non-residents. A multiple child discount is available for families with three or more children in the same household. Camps for children ages 6 – 12 are available at six locations. Early Exposure camps for children ages 3 – 5 are available at three centers as indicated below. The summer camps locations are:
- Adams/Butzel Complex, 10500 Lyndon (also has camp for ages 3 – 5)
- Clemente Recreation Center, 2631 Bagley
- Crowell Recreation Center, 16630 Lahser Road
- Heilmann Recreation Center, 19601 Crusade (also has camp for ages 3 – 5)
- Patton Recreation Center, 2301 Woodmere
- Young Recreation Center, 2751 Robert Bradby Drive (also has camp for ages 3 – 5)
For more information, call (313) 224-1100.
RECREATION CENTER PROGRAMS
Each of the City’s recreation centers offer a variety of activities for children and teens. Activities include basketball skills and drills, aquatics, arts-n-crafts, ceramics, softball/T-ball, boxing, and general recreation activities.
Recreation Center Hours Days
Adams Butzel Complex Noon – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday
Butzel Family Center 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday
Roberto Clemente Noon – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday
Young Noon – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday
Crowell Noon – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday
Farwell 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday
Heilmann Noon – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday
Lasky Noon – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday
Patton Noon – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday
Williams 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday
If your kids love swimming, then the Recreation Department offers swimming at Adams-Butzel, Patton, Heilmann and Young recreation centers. There is also Brennan Pool at Rouge Park, which is open seven days a week from noon – 8 p.m. The cost is $2 a person.
RECREATION ACTIVITIES AT SIX DPS SCHOOLS
Students at six Detroit Public Schools will get more than an education this summer, as the Detroit Parks and Recreation Department brings arts & crafts, table games and sports skills directly to students.
The Out of School Time program is a partnership with the City of Detroit and DPS that will offer recreational activities to school-age youth over the summer. The program will run during summer school from June 20 – July 29, Monday through Friday from noon – 4 p.m.
The Out of School Time Program will be offered at:
- Gardner Elementary School | 6528 Mansfield Street
- Hutchinson Elementary/Middle School | 2600 Garland Street
- Gompers Elementary/Middle School | 14450 Burt Road
- John R. King Academy| 15850 Strathmoor Street
- Bates Academy | 19701 Wyoming Avenue
- Marcus Garvey Elementary/Middle School (Sponsored by UAW-Ford) | 2301 Van Dyke
For information on the Out of School Time Program, call (313) 224-1100.