Woman (Taisha Allen) who filmed Eric Garner’s death sues NYPD

Taisha AllenThe aftermath of Eric Garner’s death continues to be a presence as the woman who filmed the tragedy is bringing a federal lawsuit against the New York police department.

The Guardian reports that Taisha Allen’s nine-count complaint against the department states the 37-year-old was unlawfully imprisoned, unlawfully searched and subjected to excessive force, among other allegations. Allen, who also resides in Staten Island, filmed Garner’s death in July 2014 via a lesser-known video.

In the video, Garner is shown moments after being placed in a chokehold by NYPD officer Daniel Pantaleo and laying incapacitated on the sidewalk while other officers and emergency medical workers stood nearby. Garner ultimately died. Although his death was ruled a homicide, officer Pantaleo was not indicted by a grand jury.

As EUR reported earlier, the civil case brought on by Garner’s family resulted in them settling the case for $5.9 million on Monday (July 12).

Responding to Allen’s case, police told the New York Daily News, “the allegations will be reviewed.”

The suit goes on to detail that Allen saw officers harassing her friend after she sent him to the store to get more ingredients for a dinner she was cooking. Despite the officers accusing the friend of trespassing on Allen’s property, she told them she was his guest. According to the lawsuit, authorities told Allen to “mind her business.” It was then that officer Stephen Damico allegedly told Allen: “OK, now you have a warrant out for your arrest.”

The suit notes Allen saying the officer made his statement without checking her name against any police databases. Adding to this were allegations from Allen that she was thrown against a fence, pushed to the ground and dragged several feet. At the time, Allen recently broke her leg.

From the hospital, The Guardian acknowledged that Allen said she was taken into police custody from the hospital as officers handcuffed her to her crutches in police custody.

At this time, the status of Allen’s criminal case resulting from the arrest is unclear, according to The Guardian. Media reports referenced by the site indicate that while she pleaded guilty, an online docket from the Richmond County criminal courts system points out that that Allen has an upcoming appearance.

Lawson is seeking more than $150,000 in damages from her lawsuit.


From the Web