Detroit Public Schools is held the last two after-school Enrollment Fairs at the district’s 21 Application Schools onWednesday, March 11, 2015, with each school offering specialty tours and creative programming to showcase their offerings.
Students are pulling out all the stops to present a Performing Arts Extravaganza from Detroit School of Arts’ Vocal and Instrumental Music, Music Technology, Dance, Theater, Radio/Television Production and Visual Arts programs during the after-school Open House.
The district kicked off its Application Schools Period Monday, March 2 for the 21 Application Schools, which range from a number of top-ranked schools by Excellent Schools Detroit to new programs such as the Mark Twain School for Scholars, a gifted and talented school in Southwest Detroit, to language immersion programs, such as those offered at Academy of the Americas and Foreign Language Immersion and Cultural Studies School.
Families seeking to apply for limited spots in these schools should apply at the school building site for the 2015-16 school year. This is the first of two periods during March-April for families to select schools. An Open Enrollment Period for all schools will follow, from April 13-24, and includes additional opportunities to visit and learn more about schools.
The two-week Application Schools period runs from March 2-16. Schools criteria and application packets are on the district’s website at detroitk12.org/enroll. Further information is available at 313-240-4377.
Applications are open to families of current DPS students as well as those newly enrolling or attending school elsewhere.
The Application Schools are as follows:
- Academy of the Americas
- Ann Arbor Trail Magnet Elementary-Middle School
- Bates Academy
- Ben Carson High School of Science and Medicine
- Burton International Academy
- Chrysler Elementary School
- Clippert Academy
- Communication and Media Arts High School
- Davis Aerospace High School
- Detroit Collegiate Preparatory Academy
- Detroit International Academy for Young Women
- Detroit School of Arts
- Douglass Academy for Young Men
- Edward “Duke” Ellington Conservatory of Music and Art
- Foreign Language Immersion and Cultural Studies School (FLICS)
- Golightly Education Center
- Ludington Magnet Middle School
- Marcus Garvey Academy
- Paul Robeson – Malcolm X Academy
- Spain Elementary-Middle School
- Mark Twain School for Scholars
Application Guidelines Parents Should Know:
- All application schools have their own application process. For example, schools may require applicants to participate in an interview, take a test or submit a portfolio of their work.
- Parents should research all schools of their interest. Students may apply to as many schools as they wish.
- The grade point average, disciplinary record, attendance record and the interests of the child may be assessed.
- Limited slots are available at each school.
- Each school maintains a “wait-list.”
- The application period will run through March 16, 2015. All applications must be submitted to the school of interest no later than 4:00 p.m. on March 16, 2015.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- The decision of the school review committee is final.