Workers in downtown Detroit had a jolting experience on Tuesday morning, when an underground cable caused an explosion that sent manhole covers sailing through the air and black smoke billowing from the ground. After some workers braved treacherous travel on snow covered streets, the explosion that shook the ground under the Fort Washington Plaza building at 333 Fort was the last thing anyone expected.
Fire Chief John King said that an electrical fire was to blame. Smoke in the building’s basement led to the building’s evacuation, but there was no fire in the building. The public is being asked to stay away from the area.
“We believe we have some underground wiring that has affected the scene. This building right here has been evacuated because of the amount of smoke that was accumulating in the basement, but there is no fire in this building nor has it affected the electrical in this building. But it’s being evacuated and it will be shut down the rest of the day,” King said.
Detroit fire department officials are continuing their investigation.
No one lost power during the blast.