The annual GM River Days festival is set to kick off summer in the city along the Detroit riverfront from June 20-22.
This year’s headlining acts on the Michigan Lottery Stage are shaping up to be among GM River Days’ most memorable. Blackstreet, one of the top R&B vocal groups of the ’90s, will have the entire GM River Days crowd singing along to their hits “No Diggity,” “Don’t Leave Me” and many more.
The riverfront will also be filled with the beautiful sounds of the groundbreaking gospel duo Mary Mary, which features sisters Erica Campbell and Tina Campbell.
With more than two decades in the business, famed R&B singer, music producer and songwriter Keith Sweat will also put on an unforgettable show for this year’s GM River Days crowd.
A full music lineup of more than 40 music acts and kids’ stage entertainment will be announced in the coming weeks.
This year’s GM River Days features exciting programming and the return of festival favorites, including:
• Detroit River ArtScape, a regional art competition, is returning for the third year with 15 featured artists and cash prizes of $15,000, thanks to the generosity of the Knight Foundation. This year, the artwork from the finalists, along with a collaborative work of 30 artists from General Motors, will be on display along the RiverWalk, beginning Monday through Sunday.
In addition to a professional juror panel, the general public and GM River Days attendees will have the opportunity to also vote for their favorite artist through a special text messaging program.
• The Soaring Eagle Cuisine Machine will once again be the star of the Pepsi Taste of Detroit Food Court. In addition, more than a dozen eateries will present a wide array of dining options throughout the weekend, including Bozii, Andiamo, Wingstop, Beignets2go, La Feast, RiverWalk Café, Baja Smoothies, Union Jack’s and more.
“The Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort looks forward to not only supporting this annual celebration on Detroit’s riverfront, but also interacting with the attendees who come from all across the region to River Days,” said Kristina Griffus, PR and advertising manager, Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort.
• Located on Rivard Plaza, The Flagstar Bank Kids Zone will keep kids laughing and playing all weekend long. Parents just need to pick up a free sticker from the Flagstar Bank booth at the festival. The Kids Zone, produced by The Parade Company, will feature story time, magic and puppet shows, as well as face and hand painting with the Detroit Institute of Arts and recyclable crafts with Arts & Scraps.
• As always, festival-goers can take advantage of great fun on the water with Diamond Jack River Tours, as well as tours of the Appledore IV Tall Ship presented by Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center docked at the Detroit/Wayne County Port Authority Dock.
In addition, festival favorite Typhoon Tommy and his world-class jet ski team will use the Detroit River as their stage to perform air jumps, flips and underwater dives for the crowds along the riverfront.
• The Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will provide a variety of hands-on activities for children and adults throughout William G. Milliken State Park & Harbor. Guests can stroll along the RiverWalk and talk with wildlife and fish experts, foresters and conservation officers. Booths will be set up across the park to learn about Michigan’s birds of prey and reptiles. Festival-goers will also have a chance to try their hand at archery and other outdoor skill challenges.
The 2014 GM River Days, presented by Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, kicks off Friday, June 20, at 11 a.m. and spans from the William G. Milliken State Park and Harbor to the Detroit/Wayne County Port Authority Terminal & Dock, just past the Renaissance Center.
Festival hours are 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday. The Conservancy will charge a $3 admission fee (and $5 after 5 p.m.) to help underwrite programming and operational costs for the festival. Admission to the festival is free before 5 p.m. on Friday, June 20.
For a full schedule of events and activities, please visit RiverDays.com.