What You Should Do Now And What Can Wait Until Later


If you missed the April 15 tax deadline and believe you owe taxes for 2009, Accounting Aid Society advises its clients to file an extension to avoid being charged with penalties and interest.

However, if a client doesn’t owe taxes, there is no penalty for filing late, and Accounting Aid Society offers free help through its Summer Tax Program (see accompanying story).

Date for both federal and state taxes: If you can’t file by the due date and owe tax, file IRS Extension Form 4868, available at www.irs.gov or by calling 1-(800)-829-1040. A State of Michigan Extension Form 4 is available at www.michigan.gov/lit or by calling 1-(800)-827-4000. In both cases, you need to also pay the estimated tax due.

City taxes are due April 30. Contact your local city tax office for an extension form. For Detroit, call (313) 224-3315; for Hamtramck, call (313) 876-7745; for Highland Park, call (313) 252-0050 and for Pontiac, call (248)-758-3236.

Claiming Credits

Free help with back taxes and prior year credits claims will be available this summer, along with other services provided by Accounting Aid Society. However, there are some credit claim due dates not to be missed, in which no extensions are available. These include: 2009 Michigan Home Heating Credit Claim, due Sept. 30; 2006 Federal income tax return (claiming a refund), due April 15; 2005 Michigan income tax return (claiming a refund), due April 15; 2005 Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim, due April 15; 2005 City income tax return (claiming a refund), due April 30.

For more information, contact Accounting Aid Society at (313) 556-1920, toll-free at 1-(866)-673-0873 or log on to www.accountingaidsociety.org.

Accounting Aid Society is a non-profit organization that has been providing tax services for more than 35 years.

About Post Author

From the Web

PHP Code Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com