SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT
Eastern Michigan University is accepting applications for the position of Special Assistant to the President. Founded in 1849, EMU is a public educational institution that serves over 22,000 students who are pursuing undergraduate, graduate, specialist, doctoral and certificate degrees in the arts, sciences and professions. The University is located in Ypsilanti, Michigan, and provides its students, faculty and staff the rich cultural and professional environment of the greater Detroit and Ann Arbor metropolitan area.
The Special Assistant to the President serves as a member of the President’s cabinet and provides follow-up on Presidential and cabinet initiatives; Works closely with members of the executive council management team to facilitate communication and ensure implementation of stated objectives in a timely and efficient manner; Assures accurate flow of information between offices/units and institutional executives.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides timely information and communication to the Board of Trustees as needed on behalf of the President to keep them well informed in a timely manner.
- Serves as the primary policy researcher for the President, eliciting data and factual information through the Cabinet and Executive Council to inform, educate and prepare the President related to on-going and emerging issues of importance to the university.
- Accompanies the President as appropriate to key meetings or appointments.
- Assists in timely communication with and relationship building with various university councils, committees, and constituencies.
- Serves on search committees when directed by the President.
- Assures compliance with Board bylaws and operating policies and procedures necessary to ensure appropriate organizational decision-making protocols are understood and followed.
- As designated by the President, and in conjunction with the appropriate University Officer, works on selected issues with external groups and individuals on behalf of the President including higher education institutions and agencies, state legislative and federal relations, and media organizations.
- Performs as President’s liaison to other offices which report to the President, and in this capacity, maintains regular meeting times with the designated offices, has discretion for and assists in resolving day-to-day issues for the offices, has signature authority for budgets, and determines which issues should be brought to the attention of the President.
- Manages the budget for the Office of the President, and is responsible for administrative details and daily interactions and operations in assigned areas.
- Review mail and arranges for preparation of responses as appropriate, or forward to the appropriate person for response and/or reply. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have organizational, analytical and communication skills normally acquired through the completion of a Bachelor’s degree; Master’s in Business Administration, Higher Ed Administration or related field; a minimum of 5 years of management experience, preferably in a highly complex, decentralized organization; higher education administrative management experience preferred.
To learn more about the required qualifications for this position and EMU, as well as to apply for the position online, go to: http://www.emich.edu/jobs/ . Please reference Job Posting #: APPR1009 and include a cover letter, a detailed resume outlining qualifications and related work experience, and contact information for at least three professional references.
EMU is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer and Educator that is strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The University actively encourages applications from women, persons of color, and applicants with disabilities, veterans, and members of other underrepresented groups.